In this vision, Daniel is given more detail regarding the Medo-Persian and Grecian empires and of the Antichrist’s activities in the last days.
- The angel told Daniel that the vision concerned the end time (Dan. 8:19).
- The ram is identified as Medo-Persia (Dan. 8:20), and the he goat that destroyed the ram is the king of Greece (Dan.
8:21). History tells us this was Alexander the Great.
- After Alexander’s death, the Grecian kingdom was divided into four parts by his generals (Dan. 8:22).
- Verses 9-12 and verses 23-25 describe the Antichrist again as “the little horn.”
- Thus, in this prophecy God has the Antichrist coming out of the Grecian kingdom and ignores the Roman Empire
described in the previous two visions. Regardless, it is obviously the same “little horn” and he will be destroyed by
“broken without hand” (v. 25; compare 2:44-45; 7:11).
- He will become very great (Dan. 8:9)
- He will exalt himself against God and will overcome the saints (Dan. 8:10; Rev. 11:3; 13:11)
- He will take away the daily sacrifice and will establish error in its place (Dan. 8:11-12).
- He will have a fierce countenance (Dan. 8:23). Antichrist will be physically powerful and fearful; humanly
speaking he will be very impressive and domineering.
- He will understand dark sentences (Dan. 8:23). Antichrist will be a master at the art of human politics and of the
satanic intrigues that control the present world.
- He will have mighty power, but not his own (Dan. 8:24). His power will derive from Satan (2 Th. 2:9; Rev. 13:2).
- He will persecute the Jewish people (Dan. 8:24).
- He will magnify himself (Dan. 8:25).
- He will come in by promises of peace (Dan. 8:25).
- He will stand up against Jesus Christ and will be destroyed without hand (Dan. 8:25). This will happen when Jesusreturns and destroys him with the word of His mouth (Rev. 19:19-21).